References

Contact Information

Upper Mattaponi Indian Tribe
P.O. Box 184
King William, VA 23086

Web Sites

Virginia Tribe Contact Information
Virginia Indians Tribal Alliance for Life (VITAL)”
Virginia Council on Indians
William & Mary American Indian Resource Center
US Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
Virginia’s First People, Past & Present
National Museum of the American Indian
Bureau of Indian Affairs

Publications

Rountree, Helen C. Pocahontas’s People: The Powhatan Indians of Virginia Through Four Centuries. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1990.

Rountree, Helen C. The Powhatan Indians of Virginia: Their Traditional Culture. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1989.

Rountree, Helen, and Turner, E. Randolph III. Before and After Jamestown: Virginia’s Powhatans and Their Predecessors. Gainesville: The University Press of Florida, 2002.

Compiled by Strachey, William. American Language Reprints, Vol. 8: A Dictionary of Powhatan. Southampton: Evolution Publishing, 1999.

Wright, Ronald. Stolen Continents: The “New World” Through Indian Eyes. New York: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1992.

31 Responses to References

1. Teresa says:

I have a great grand who married Jane Riddle. She was Saponi. This would be the line of the Reeves Riddle and Goss who were hung in SC. I also have names of Selvey, Thomas, Jordan, Brooks, Bell, Yates, Collins, Hopper, Davis and more. I’m so confused about trying to find what Tribe. My DNA shows Native DNA Markers.
    Is there anyone who can help? What tribes did the Saponi blend into?

2. Katie Imel says:

Good evening, my son, Andrew Imel is doing a research project on the Mattaponi Indians and I was wondering if I could get in contact with someone to teach him about the reservation in Hanover. We live in Chesterfield. Please respond when you can, and thank you :)
    Sincerely,
    Katie Imel

• Upper Mattaponi Indian Tribe says:

Hi, Katie. I removed your phone number from your post for privacy reasons, especially since you have a small child. I’ll try to put someone in touch who will be able to answer your questions.

Brenda

3. Maddie says:

Hello,
    My grandfather wants to know how I can access bloodlines going back to the 1900 or even further without going to ancestry.com. Me and my family visted the pamunkey res. about 2 years ago. We met a nice man named George who ran the gift shop he was the brother of the chief of the Pamunkey tribe. I forgot what he said how to find out. My grandfather who is still living today his mom came from the tribe with her family. But her name was changed to Nunally when she moved to a school. Not sure what her native name was.She eventually settled in Isle of White Co. I think that’s how it was spelled. They all had reservation cards. My grandfather was never signed up for one not sure about his siblings. My grandfathers name is Thomas William Moody.If there are any archives avaliable to the public on the res we’ll be happy to come up and look from Newport News. It’s about time we visited again anyways. All help and information appreciated!
    -M

4. Sandy Gilliland says:

I had a relationship with a man named John Gundecker he called himself Black Elk.
    I heard he died and I have wondered for a long time what happened. I hope his passing happened in a good way with peace of mind and heart felt shouts of joy.

5. James Fletcher says:

I believe I have made a connection between the Powhatan Indian boy named Metappin (Virginia ACTS of Assembly Volume II page 155, and my family line. I am so certain of this I am in the process of writing a book, which originally was only going to be an essay. The reason this history has to be in a book form is because it actually takes the telling of several different stories to merge into one point in time, and into one story. This conclusion is so obvious I am astounded that no one I can find has ever made this assumption. My plans are to present this book to several different experts, authors and yourselves to see if they or you can correct, add or discount any of the information in the book. I am looking for a way to contact you and an address so I can send this to you when I have completed it. Thank you in advance, please advise

• bbell says:

Interesting. Are you sure this is related to the Upper Mattaponi? Surry County would have been a considerable distance from King William for the time — on the other side of the James River.

• Carolyn Adams Gershowitz Lewis says:

The mailing address for the Upper Mattaponi Indian Tribe is P.O. Box 184, King William, Virginia 23086.

6. Vincent Graham says:

Hi,
    I’m a student attending San Francisco State University. I am currently in the process of making a documentary about thr tribes in the Virginia area and was wondering if there was a way to contact Chief Ken Adams over the phone. This documentary would only be for class and would not be distributed online or anywhere else. It is for a class assignment. Thank you for your time.

7. Aaron Ellrich says:

Hello,

I’m currently a graduate student at the University of Florida and I am researching the Virginia Council on Indians (VCI) previous work with Virginia Department of Historic Resources (VDHR), particularly the collaboration on the Historic Highway Markers program between the years 2004-2010. In the VCI public documents I saw that Reggie Tupponce Sr. was on the Board of the VCI around the time many of the highway markers were being written by and or approved by the VCI. I was wondering if Reggie Tupponce Sr., or anyone else who knows and/or was a part of this collaboration, would be willing to talk with me about the VCI and VDHR historic highway markers project?

Sincerely,
    Aaron Ellrich

8. Ginny Harrs says:

I am just trying to find Todd Custalow. I went to school with him my whole life and I miss him. He was my friend. If you see this, Todd, please email me. It’s been so long and I would love to see you.

9. Nan Bandura says:

I am a first grade teacher from Lewis and Clark Elementary School, Caroline County and am working on a Lewis and Clark Educational Trail. This is an educational experience for the students located in the front of the school. Please give me a call and I will be happy to fill you in on the project. Check us out on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/lewisandclarkelementaryschool,educationaltrail

You can reach me at Lewis and Clark Elementary School at 804-448-0175. I will be at school starting next week from 8/10/14 from 8am-5pm.

Thanks so much,
    Nan Bandura

10. Brent Horsley says:

Hello
    I am a leader for an Northern Virginia based cub scout pack and we are hosting a Native American themed scout event in Washington Virginia on April 26 on 20 acres of private land. Attendance is around 150 people. There will be activities centered around the theme and we are looking for Native American demonstrators in the region who can come and show how the tribes would have dressed or danced or any other aspects of Native American life.

Please forward this to the Council or the Chief to see if there are any groups in your tribe who do this sort of thing.

The Native American theme is very special to us as it is closely tied to scouting and we would like to teach our scouts some authentic attributes of the way of life.

I appreciate any information you can provide.

Many thanks
    Brent

11. Lydia Berry says:

If possible I would like to conduct an interview over the phone. I am doing research on the American Indian / Alaska Natives
    Answering the questions below would help me out a lot. If you can participate in an over the phone interview I would appreciate it.

1. Do you still celebrate traditions from your tribe?

2. What natural resources did your tribe use to survive many years ago?

3.When did the settlers arrive at your village?

4. Whats the history of your tribe?

5. What did your tribe do to seek help when needed (counseling or therapy)?

6. How did your tribe react to one of it’s members being attracted to the same sex?

7. Did your tribe ever feel mistreated in any way?

8. If you felt mistreated how did your tribe respond back?

9. What are the type of foods your tribe ate?

10. What do your tribe like to be called?

11. What are some names your tribe were called that made you feel uncomfortable or singled out?

12. Karen Fossum says:

Hello,

I am with Rippon Lodge Historic Site in Prince William County, Virginia. We are planning a Native American Program on November 8th and are interested in having the Upper Mattaponi tribe at our program. Please contact me with any questions or if you want more details.

Karen Fossum
    Rippon Lodge Historic Site
    (703) 499-9812

• bbell says:

I’ve passed your info along to the council. Thanks for including us.

• Kerry Mitchell says:

My coworker Karen Fossum posted here on March 6th about the Rippon Lodge Native American Program on November 8. Since her posting, Karen has left our division and I have taken over planning the progragm. We are still interested in having the Upper Mattaponi tribe at our program. Please contact me with any questions or if you want more details.

Kerry Mitchell
        Rippon Lodge Historic Site
        (703) 499-9812

13. kiley Mcconnel says:

Hello i am doing a History Day project, i am in 7th grade and i was wondering if i cout get in conact with someone that may have a pictue of a primary document or a newspaper from a while back that would include something about a powwow or anything cultural if you could help get me any information about the Mattaponi indians and thier reservation it would be much apreshiated if you could email me at [contact site admin for email address]
    thanks!

14. Vickie Anderson says:

To the Honorable Ken Adams,

I am a direct descendant of the Honorable Chief Opechancanough. Some of the last names in my ancestors on this line were Weaver, McDaniels, and Moytoy.

I have all of my documentation and proof.

I would be honored to be considered for membership in the Upper Mattaponi Tribe.

Please send or email me a membership application form.

Thank you in advance for your time and efforts. I really appreciate your help.

Respectfully,

Vickie Anderson
    2130 Woodcrest Dr. S.E.
    Olympia, WA 98501

15. Barbara Mastic says:

Greetings:

I am writing to you today in hope that I may receive information on this yera’s Tax Tribute in Richmond that I presume will be held November21st. May I attend, and if s,o what should I be made aware of so that I may take part in this honorable tradition with reverance?

Sincerely,

Barbara

• bbell says:

I’d suggest that you contact Governor McDonald’s office for information on the event. You should do that soon, though. It’s my understanding that space is limited.

16. Debra Bennett Burnha says:

hello i seen this on facebook and i am native my family came from virginia and trying to find the parents of Nancy Bohannan and or Bohanna well its not happening she was born in 1802 and to tell you i really do not know how she even gotten her english name i have a picture of her that was passed down in my family and i look alot like her in many ways. on any records of whom she married says she is white well she is far from white I just want to be reconised by the tribe i come from some how some way I am 52 53 in october and have been searching from the time i was in my 20s to find my tribe and know whom i come from and the blood running in my vaiens.

17. Joe Beatty says:

Hello,

My name is Joe. A have a question that I hope is ok to ask. I am going to work at a Quaker summer camp just outside of Winchester, VA in a few weeks. I’ve worked there a few summers before. Each summer the camp builds a sweat lodge that it uses for the older campers who are graduating. It seems to me that this is cultural appropriation, as there is no one on the staff who identifies as native, and the sweat lodge is not a Quaker tradition. This summer I am going to bring this up and possibly discontinue the use of the lodge. I was wondering if you had any ideas on the matter, about our use of the sweat lodge, if it should be discontinued, or how we can learn more about the land that we are on and ways to respect the land and its original inhabitants.
    Many Thanks,

Joe

18. tonia rock says:

Hello Chief Adams,

We wroked together in 2007 on many of the Jamestown Committees. I am a graduate student at William and Mary in the American Studies Department and am writing my MA thesis on the way the JT organizations worked with the Virginia Indians. I would be very interested in interviewing you or someone you designate as a representative for the Upper Mattaponi. I would like to interview someone in person, but could also send either a written questionaire or interview over the phone. You will have the right to read what I attribute to you and approve its inclusion in my research. I was hoping to have all my interviews done in July. You can call me at 757-784-5184 or email me at [email address hidden].

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Tonia Deetz Rock

19. Ashley Snyder says:

Hello,

I am a fourth grade teacher at Stafford County Schools and am writing on behalf of one of my students. He is interested in learning more about the Upper Mattaponi tribe.

He has a few questions for you.

I will let him type them below. He is also interested in speaking with you if you have time and could send us your contact information.

1. Do you still celebrate traditions from your tribe?

2. What natural resources did your tribe use to survive many years ago?

3.When did the settlers arrive at your village?

4. Whats the history of your tribe?

20. Jane Winkler says:

Found your site while researching for an article. Love the history and articles. I am the new Editor for BellaOnline’s Native American site and I’m attempting to compile information on all Federal and State recognized Tribes. This is not for publication, but my personal use for research. Is it possible for someone to contact me at the email address above?
    Thank you for your time in replying.